Friday, November 04, 2005

Outline? What Outline?

One of the things I've heard most constantly at school is the commandment that thou shalt make thy outline! Several students resort to commercial outlines, in addition to guides and what not. I have not as of yet done so.

Today, I went to the law library to do the sample multiple-choice questions Professor Nockleby distributed. I did not do very well, but I had no trouble, once I compared my answers to the answer key, figuring out why my answers were wrong. As expected, the results proved that I need to bone up and do some reviewing. I commented in passing to Lily and Alisa that I should do my outline.

"No! You don't have time! Just do more questions!"

Where do I find more questions?

"Use the PMBR!"

Huh?

The guy at the reserve desk was very helpful. The PMBR was not. It covered way too many subjects that we hadn't even touched yet, particularly product liability.

Then I remembered something. My definition of "outline" is substantially different from everybody else's. For my method of learning it is not so important to write what would amount to a minor novella to qualify as an "outline" (Shirley's outline runs to more than 30 pages just for intentional torts). The way I learn, it's more important to capture the main points, and note cases that make those points. Since I've already got a compilation of cases anyway (and that compilation for Torts runs to about 68 pages, but that's including a table of contents, and for many cases includes full briefs), it really shouldn't take me more than a good half day to come up with an outline Bruce-style.

Guess what I'll be doing Friday night?

No comments: