Thursday, March 19, 2009

Solo Practice: Learning the Law

Most people end up in jobs that have nothing to do with their undergraduate degree. As it turns out, lawyers also end up specializing in areas they may not have studied in law school.

As a case in point, I went down to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California today, to see what I could absorb by osmosis. I also got to talk with a couple of the lawyers representing the principal secured creditor. The lead representative, who did all of the presentation during the hearing, assured me she had not studied bankruptcy in law school either, and yet she's been in bankruptcy law for about 15 years now.

So the important thing is knowing where to go to learn the law, and, of course, finding clients. Everything else should take care of itself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you! I admire your initiative. Please update your blog when you have a little time and let us know how starting your own law firm is going, I for one am very interested!

Anonymous said...

Law stud,

How's your solo business going? I just passed the Feb bar and am going to try to go solo. I do have another non-related job to pay for expenses, mortgage, etc.

I'm having problems finding clients and am pretty discouraged. Maybe this is not that great an idea.

Hopefully you have better news.

Bruce said...

It's not easy, so I'm supplementing what I do with some appearance work wherever I can get it!