In New York, one person was so fed up that he posted up this satirical post on Craigslist:
Fast-paced 20-attorney law firm looking for an eager associate to join our growing practice. We understand that you may be a newly-admitted attorney looking for their first job. We also know that the economy is harsh right now. However, we are willing to give you a chance. Here are the details of this spectacular opportunity:
* Your salary will be $30,000 per year. We understand that this may be on the low end(since you probably are six figures in debt), but we will be able to give you unlimited opportunities for experience and you'll be making six-figures soon enough. On the other hand, we will bill our clients $300 for every hour of your work; at least you will know your work is valued by us in several ways.
* There is no health insurance, but we have an on-site 2nd year medical student who will abide by the upmost professional standards take care of any illnesses or injuries that occur, both on-site and off-site.
* You will be expected to work 12 hour days, six (6) days of week. You will be afforded 1 week of vacation time, and three (3) sick days. Your vacation time is limited to the months of January and February, as we will need you to be in the office while the partners are taking their time off in the summer. The good news is that you will earn vacation and sick pay as soon as you start. The only holidays that the Firm observes are Christmas and Thanksgiving, but you must work a half-day, as we are a busy and important firm who adheres to our clients' needs.
* Your bonus, if earned (by billing 2100 hours per year), will consist of a one-year membership to a "food-of-the-mouth" club of your choice. In 2008, every associate took advantage of this valuable program and has benefited greatly for their hard work and dedication.
Please email resume, cover letter, salary history, law school and college transcripts to the address above. We will also need to you take a drug test, done at YOUR expense. We also charge a $50 processing fee for your employment application, payable later. All resumes and credentials will be held in strictest confidence.
- Compensation: $30,000/year, plus GREAT BENEFITS
- OK for recruiters to contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
It wouldn't be so funny if it weren't so realistic!
I have received MANY applications regarding the $30k per year associate attorney position. I thought it would be clear that it is a fake. Even if it wasn't fake, who in their right mind would apply to such a position that retains a second year med student in lieu of health insurance? Anyway, below are some of the responses. Of course, I cannot reply to the numerous emails asking if this was a serious job posting, as my name would show up. Please note that anyone who sent a resume, cover letter, or any other credential had their email deleted in order to protect their privacy
As the author said to Above the Law: "Applicants need to have faith in themselves. Anyone who went to law school is better than this [fictitious] job."