On the third day of the California bar exam, my true love gave to me ... another contracts remedies essay question! Well, I guess trying to predict the frequency with which subjects will arise on the California bar exam is a bit like predicting, well, earthquakes.
The morning session was, as expected, quite a bit tougher than Tuesdays morning session, sans earthquake. But still, it wasn't what I would call "evil".
What was truly evil was the afternoon performance exam question. Never mind that the situation was set up such that it was very difficult to agree with the position we were supposed to take, but it was in essence a points and authorities memo in support of a motion in opposition to a motion to exclude evidence. We were given enough evidence only to realize that it was a "he said she said" kind of situation, with insufficient facts to really support either side. And, on top of that, there was no sample of what a points and authorities memo was supposed to look like!
Fortunately, such memos are the stuff of first year law school--except that was two years agoo!
At last, the dreaded "evil" written question has surfaced, in the last leg of this 3-day endurance test we impersonally call "the California bar exam".
Tidbits from the bar exam:
- As we took our seats this morning, one of the proctors revealed that at one of the other testing sites, a bar applicant had been kicked out and disqualified because her phone had gone off 8 minutes before the end of a session. I don't really feel bad about that one, honestly.
- We were told that another bar applicant had been kicked out and disqualified because when he fell asleep during the MBE, his snoring was bothering his neighbors. That's a little iffy, and I hope that wasn't true.
- One girl started doing cartwheels just before the AM session.
- Others were doing yoga. Wow.
- Another girl started dancing in her seat at the end of the AM session. I wonder how she felt when she read the prompt for the PM session!
Anyway, the bar exam has been quite an experience indeed. That's really all I have to say about that. If you just finished taking the California bar exam, are near the downtown LA area, and need a stiff drink like I do, drop me a comment, and we'll figure something out!