The Saddam Hussein Trials have begun. In the instant case, the Iraqi Special Tribunal will be trying Saddam for his retaliation for an assassination attempt. In his campaign against the city of Dujail, he ordered the bulldozing of many buildings, the imprisonment of entire families, and the execution of about 150 suspects without trial.
In order to get a sense of what's going on, I recommend the following links:
- The Unofficial English Translation of the Iraqi Special Tribunal.
- A Summary of Questions and Answers about the IST from Human Rights First (Hat-tip: Professor Willis)
- Grotian Moment Blog, a blog about the Trial
- Rules and Procedures, courtesy of Grotian Moment Blog
- Iraq the Model, a blog run by 2 of the Fadhil brothers in Baghdad, with relatively live coverage of the Trial as seen by some Baghdadis
- Hammorabi, another Baghdad blog
- The Messopotamian, another Baghdad blog
- Voices of Reason, a long blog post discussing the merits of the time table for the Trial
If you have other links that may contribute to the discussion, please let me know by filling out a comment. And please return often. All Saddam Hussein Trial-related posts will begin with "Saddam Trial - " to distinguish them from other law school posts.